[ale] USB to Serial adapters

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Thu Jun 19 08:25:09 EDT 2008

Thanks to all for your helpful & informative replies.  Below are
a couple of examples that roughly summarize.

It appears to me that there are 2 major USB-to-serial
support/bridge chips on "modern" hardware, the Prolific PL-2303
and the FTDI.  Both appear to be well-supported on Linux, *BSD,
MacOSX (with appropriate 3rd-party OSX drivers), and of course,
Windows (Vista notwithstanding).

Any word on the relative strengths/weaknesses/features of
those respective chips(ets)?

Thanks,

-kc