[ale] USB to Serial adapters

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jun 18 10:48:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 10:13 -0400, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Any recommendations (maybe a FAQ/site/info) for *supported*
> and/or recommended USB-to-serial adapters for Linux/BSD/MacOSX?

	Funny you should ask that.  I just ordered one from usbgear and it just
arrived and I've been just testing it out.  An 8 port serial to USB
adapter and it looks great.  Plugged it into my Linux box and
ttyUSB[0-7] showed up.  I haven't had a chance to put it into production
yet (waiting on some additional components) so I can't vouch for it's
reliability but all 8 ports are suppose to be good to 921KBaud.

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=8XDB9-USB&cats=199&catid=199%2C478%2C474

	They've also got 4 port, 2 port, and single port adapters.  Most of
them mention that they have Linux compatible chip sets.  Anything with
the FTDI chipset should be good to go.

	This 4 port cable based model uses the Prolific chipset and is Linux
compatible as well (little Tux logo right on the page):

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-4X232&cats=199&catid=199%2C469

	I could have actually gotten away a little bit cheaper if I had gone
with a couple of those 4 port models but the single 8 port unit avoids
adding a USB hub for what I need it for.

	Right now, I'm waiting on a 4x1 USB demand sharing device that this
will plug into.  That way, I'll have multiple serial consoles pulled
into the adapter and it plugged into the sharing device and the sharing
device plugged into 4 computers, any one of which can take command of
the serial console constellation.

> Thanks,

> -kc

	Mike