[ale] USB to Serial adapters

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jun 18 11:37:10 EDT 2008

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 10:13 -0400, Ken Cochran wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations (maybe a FAQ/site/info) for *supported*
>> and/or recommended USB-to-serial adapters for Linux/BSD/MacOSX?
>>

> 	Funny you should ask that.  I just ordered one from usbgear and it just
> arrived and I've been just testing it out.  An 8 port serial to USB
> adapter and it looks great.  Plugged it into my Linux box and
> ttyUSB[0-7] showed up.  I haven't had a chance to put it into production
> yet (waiting on some additional components) so I can't vouch for it's
> reliability but all 8 ports are suppose to be good to 921KBaud.

I've got a few of many models of USB -> Serial adapters.  I've ran into
problems
when dealing with devices that are NOT 9600,N,8,1.  My father has a few
CNC machines so we used these to download programs from the machines to
Linux.

Now it may have been when we did the the Linux support for these devices
was spotty and has gotten better.   I'm just reporting what I've seen.

Chris