[ale] Clues for installing Linux to HD under qemu

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jun 16 17:14:03 EDT 2008

tom wrote:
>>From my reading so far, I'm convinced that qemu can grab the new hard disk
> connected to a USB adaptor I have, and can run up the dual nics. I just
> haven't figured the incantation to use...

This is going to be slow unless you can use kqemu or kvm.

Using a real disk instead of a disk image is easy; just specify the
device name. [0] You can connect multiple virtual interfaces to TAP
interfaces; this is a little more complicated. [1] For more help on the
possible incantations, look at this [2] section of the documentation.

[0] http://bellard.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC21
[1]
http://blog.alantan.com/2007/01/qemu-tap-bridge-network-configuration.html
[2] http://bellard.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC10