[ale] Clues for installing Linux to HD under qemu

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jun 16 16:00:38 EDT 2008

This is becoming irritating. Either I'm not bright enough to read between
the appropriate lines and/or my google foo is super wimpy and not going to
right links. Whatever the reason, the result in irritating.

I think my need is simple. My main machine is running an outdated
version of linux, and I _really_ need to replace the software. My backup
computer died a little bit ago, or I'd put my spare HD in there and
configure up the replacement software, swap boxes, and copy files.

Instead, what looks like I might should do is perform an install under
qemu to the spare hard disk, faking the dual network cards on the real
hardware. Then test, copy, followed by swapping the hard disk into the
main machine. Hopefully this would be minimal down time with maximal
testing.

>From my reading so far, I'm convinced that qemu can grab the new hard disk
connected to a USB adaptor I have, and can run up the dual nics. I just
haven't figured the incantation to use...

Well, that and I'm not sure enough of myself at the moment as too the
existence of booby traps for this booby

Anybody have a clue by four to beat me with that they are willing to
share?