[ale] a specter is haunting our school systems!

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 10 22:16:10 EST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Steve Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Jim Popovitch <yahoo at jimpop.com> wrote:
>>
>> The reality is that "concerned" is more likely to be less on that
>> teachers agenda than "making ends meet".  If that teacher made more $,
>> then they would have more time to have a more open mind.   As it is
>> today, teachers can barely make ends meet, so they take all the
>> talking points and assistance they can get.   Free the teachers so
>> they can free your kids' minds. ;-)
>
> I think one of the morals of this story is that if the teacher had an open
> mind, she could be saving the school $. But, the thing is, I don't think
> helios' reply really helped her have more of an open mind. Most of his reply
> is calling the teacher an AISD monkey. I don't even feel he properly
> addressed her main concern, which was that this OS was some sort of pirated
> version of winders or atleast in some way illegal.
>
> This would have been a perfect opportunity for him to talk about Linux, not
> about some AISD conspiracy.

While properly pointing out the nature of the licence for linux, and the
open source nature of things is a great thing, thinking that a teacher can
make any decisions which might save the school money strikes me as overly
optimistic. Teachers that I know have little or no control over such
issues as all of those decisions are made at the central board office in
the name of efficiency.