[ale] How easy using a USB CellModem has become.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Aug 3 18:43:31 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:53 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> [  638.343090] airprime ttyUSB0: airprime_open - failed submitting
> read
> urb 0 for port 0, error -8
> [  668.328295] airprime ttyUSB0: airprime_open - failed submitting
> read
> urb 0 for port 0, error -8
> [  698.313832] airprime ttyUSB0: airprime_open - failed submitting
> read
> urb 0 for port 0, error -8

I have seen strange and unexplainable errors connecting USB devices to
computers and using them when the shielding on the wire is broken,
weakened, or otherwise nonexistent.  I have seen it manifest as errors
with devices (cell phones, printers, external HDs) not accepting a
device ID number, or reporting strange I/O errors when attempting to
actually use the devices after they appear on the USB bus.

Have you tried multiple cables to rule this out?  Also, some broken
cables will work with some devices but not others (say, USB 1.1 devices,
but not USB 2.0 devices, or a cell phone will work with a wire and a
printer won't).  It can be very frustrating.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.