[ale] QOS Packet Filtering Solution in Linux

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Sat Mar 10 15:19:24 EST 2007

1. Linux is great at this.  I'm doing this for a client with 6 internal
   subnets and TWO Internet feeds (of different sizes, naturally).  It
   works great.  Admittedly, I had to learn a bit how to use it and I
   did enhance the script but we're adjusting by time-of-day, day of
   week (it's a school), and other cool stuff.

2. Packeteers are broken, in my professional opinion.  When one client
   installed one over a Linux solution (due to the head jerk, I mean,
   head of IT in London), backups over the network started failing.
   The stupid packeteer simply dropped packets (on a path that was
   NOT supposed to be limited).  Boat anchor in my opinion.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"