[ale] [OT] rebates

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Feb 23 20:11:48 EST 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:

> Personally I?ve always thought the main point in ?rebates? is that
> vendors fully expect not to have to ever honor them.
>
> To me the funniest is when mail order houses like Dell offer rebates.
> You have to buy it from them, have them send it to you, then send them
> something proving you bought it from them? The only two reasons I can
> see for this would be: A) They make money on the float between the
> time you buy and the time you get the rebate and/or B) They don?t?
> expect to have to honor the rebate so increase their bottom line.

I've had 2 recent experiences with Office Depot:

1. I was shopping for a UPS (some of you might remember my asking for
your opinions). Everybody's price varied but was fairly close, except
for Office Depot. They were actually listing a price higher than the
MSRP. Oh by the way I wound up getting the APC RS1500 from a site called
mWave.com based in the LA, Ca area. Even with shipping they were at
least $25 cheaper than everyone else and their customer service was
great. I kept on getting e-mails at each step from order acceptance,
approval, shipped and just before delivery.

2.Staples has been offering $3 for empty ink cartridges for a while now.
Office Depot just recently started the same, and then raised their
prices on new cartridges by $2 which were already $2 more than Staples
which is $1.50 cheaper than Wal-Mart.

Oh well, just my $ .02.