[ale] T41 drive problems

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 10:39:50 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 10:31 -0500, Dan Lambert wrote:

> That's sort of what I'm up against, Mike. It appears that to repair or
> replace the drive controller, the whole main board has to be swapped.
> Major surgery, and major money. Then once it's done, I still have a 4
> year old computer that I've invested another (AT LEAST) $500 in.
>
> I've about decided to go ahead and buy a new one to replace it. Maybe
> one of the X60S ThinkPads.

If you want to save the trouble of fussing around with getting Linux on
it and getting things like the biometric hardware working (does that
model have the little fingerprint scanner thing?), you might want to
check out Emperor Linux.  I haven't used their services yet, but I have
heard good things about them and I intend to use them for my next Linux
laptop, even though they don't have the low-end stuff that I like.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!