[ale] T41 drive problems

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 11 10:31:12 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 09:59 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 17:46 -0500, Dan Lambert wrote:
> > My Thinkpad T41 drive failed on me yesterday morning, and it apparently
> > took the drive controller out with it. The controller won't allow me to
> > do anything with a replacement drive, even though ti works fine in
> > another computer.
> >
> > I'm trying to decide if it's worth fixing, or not, and I need to know if
> > anyone knows a good shop in the NE Atlanta area that can give me an
> > estimate to repair it.
> >

> Well, I can tell you that it would be a painful fix, that's for sure.
> If the repairs exceed $450-500, then I would replace it for sure.
> Much more than that, and you could pay for another T41.
>
>     ? Mike

That's sort of what I'm up against, Mike. It appears that to repair or
replace the drive controller, the whole main board has to be swapped.
Major surgery, and major money. Then once it's done, I still have a 4
year old computer that I've invested another (AT LEAST) $500 in.

I've about decided to go ahead and buy a new one to replace it. Maybe
one of the X60S ThinkPads.

Dan