[ale] OT: Voting machines cracked in California

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 21:42:33 EDT 2007

I agree.  The point is that you can take steps against ballot stuffing
and other forms of election tampering with physical ballots, whereas the
inherently opaque nature of electronic voting machines make them not
only unverified but unverifiable.

With paper ballots, what you hope to achieve is a situation where
"failure modes" (by which I mean, voting integrity breaks) require a
"vast conspiracy," such that it would be hard to have a large number of
people keep a secret.  It's when the number of secret-holding people
narrows down that you can reasonably become concerned.