[ale] DSL wireless router suggestions?

Jamey Owens vindir at comcast.net
Tue Apr 17 19:33:14 EDT 2007

>> Message: 6
>> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:33:58 -0400
>> From: "James Sumners" <james.sumners at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [ale] DSL wireless router suggestions?
>> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
>>
>> It looks like I'm in the market for a 3rd party DSL wireless router
>> that can do QoS. I recently moved into an apartment in my
>> grandparent's basement. I want to keep the DSL equipment upstairs in
>> my grandfather's office so he can reset if need be when I'm not
>> around. This makes using my P2 machine/router infeasible. There is no
>> place to put it upstairs, and I would have to run a second cable to
>> get it connected directly to the modem if place somewhere in my
>> apartment. Basically, using my homegrown solution would overly
>> complicate matters.
>>
>> Criteria I would like the 3rd party solution to meet:
>> * QoS (CBQ prefered).
>> * No arbitrary limit (e.g. 5 or 10) on the number of IPtables and/or QoS
>> rules.
>> * Capable of running a third party firmware (a Linux based router).
>> * 802.11g.
>> * At least two built-in switched ports (preferably 4).
>>
>> I'm pretty sure a Linksys solution is going to be suggested. But if
>> there are others available, I would like to know. I don't particularly
>> like Linksys products; but I also haven't been impressed with
>> Netgear's SOHO routers either (the white plastic type).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>> James Sumners
>> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

 If it is simply a thing against Linksys hardware it might be worth it to
 check out the Asus WL-500G Deluxe or Premium editions.  Supported by
openwrt
 so you can easily set up different vlans, QoS, full iptables, etcetera
 etcetera.  Nicest part of them is the addition of USB ports for easy
 additions to the router if you need space or want to hack on anything else.
 Premium ediiton has 8MB of flash 32MB ram.  Deluxe is the same with half
the
 flash.

 Another bonus of the Premium is the broadcom chip is mini-PCI in case you
 are looking to replace it with something a little more flexible.

 cheers
 JO