[ale] Window Managers for X

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 18 17:18:17 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 16:44 -0400, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Oh, oh, thank you!
>
> Narrowing things down somewhat, here are a couple of other
> things I like about my (old) fvwm95 2.0.43a:
>
> - Middle mouse button (#3) on a taskbar item minimizes it.  Left
>   click (button 1) selects the item, bringing it up if it was
>   minimized.  I like being able to quick-select/minimize windows
>   from the taskbar - I seldom if ever use the 3 little boxes at
>   the upper right of the menu-bar.

OK. You are IN THE DARK AGES!! :) It's official. :)

I tossed out fvwm2 around gnome v. .5 or so so my knowledge of the
details are core-dumped.  Most managers have short cuts like that. My
current gnome stuff lets me min and max windows from the task bar with a
left click. A right click on the window top bar lets me select from a
menu of options.

> - Analog xclock in the "dock" along with xload; bottom-right
>   of taskbar has digital clock.

xdaliclock -cycle -transparent -root was pretty, cool and fun. the -root
won't work now with gnome and kde as they claim the root window.

> Mostly I just run a bunch of xterms, ya I'm old-fashioned like that.  :)
> Additionally there are a few browser windows & that's about it.
>
> Looks to me like the "environments" (GNOME, KDE, XFCE) are all
> overkill for my needs.
>
> I'm just fine editing config files with vi.  :)  But alas I have
> yet to see instructions explaining any examples, e.g. with fvwm2,
> fvwm95, icewm, E, windowmaker, *box, whatever...

Old distros went to great lengths to set up a good working environment
for the wm they were using. Slackware still has a pretty good twm
configed.

> q:  If I "pin" a window, what if I launch a whole bunch of the
> same window?  (For example, a bunch of xterms and/or several
> browser windows)

I think the pin is per window so the others will follow the behavior the
wm tells them (tile, stack, random, etc)