[ale] Window Managers for X

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Sep 18 16:44:26 EDT 2006

Oh, oh, thank you!

Narrowing things down somewhat, here are a couple of other
things I like about my (old) fvwm95 2.0.43a:

- Middle mouse button (#3) on a taskbar item minimizes it.  Left
  click (button 1) selects the item, bringing it up if it was
  minimized.  I like being able to quick-select/minimize windows
  from the taskbar - I seldom if ever use the 3 little boxes at
  the upper right of the menu-bar.

- Analog xclock in the "dock" along with xload; bottom-right
  of taskbar has digital clock.

Mostly I just run a bunch of xterms, ya I'm old-fashioned like that.  :)
Additionally there are a few browser windows & that's about it.

Looks to me like the "environments" (GNOME, KDE, XFCE) are all
overkill for my needs.

I'm just fine editing config files with vi.  :)  But alas I have
yet to see instructions explaining any examples, e.g. with fvwm2,
fvwm95, icewm, E, windowmaker, *box, whatever...

q:  If I "pin" a window, what if I launch a whole bunch of the
same window?  (For example, a bunch of xterms and/or several
browser windows)

-kc