[ale] Finding desktops, laptops and hardware in Atlanat

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 13 08:12:58 EST 2006

Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> Geo wrote:
>> Where can I go to find certified hardware that will
>> run under Linux without having to buy something for
>> windows and then install Linux at home?
>>

> Laptops, I'm not sure about, but I just build my own desktops.  That's a
> surefire way not only around the Microsoft Tax, but to make sure that
> they give you what you wanted, since you're buying the parts piecemeal.
>
> Speaking of that, and this is *totally* off topic, I did buy one whole
> system lately, because it was supposed to have Windows on it, and come
> to find out that the copy of Windows on it has been pirated.  What is
> the recommended course of action in such cases, other then, obviously,
> getting a valid license?

I would turn them in.  They have broken the law.

> (Preinstalled WinXP Professional w/o CD-ROM, btw.)  I thought they were
> required to give up CD's, and they said no, but then they said when I
> returned and crabbed at them about the copy on there, "Well, we didn't
> sell you Windows..."

Many computer makers are taking up hard drive space to have a backup of
the installed software rather than provide cds.  Personally, I think
this sucks, but that's the way it goes.  I recently purchased a compaq
computer and once I got it booted had to create 10 cds off the drive for
the software.

> I /know/ that's not right.  If that's the case then they should've not
> put it on there!

Agreed.

--
Until later, Geoffrey