[ale] Multifuncion printer/scanner/fax, etc.

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Feb 27 17:21:14 EST 2006

On Mon February 27 2006 5:10 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> However, it has one function that has been used and loved: the
> autofeeder scan to PDF and send by email a multi-page, 2-sided
> document.
I have an HP5620 all-in-one unit. I use it mostly for outgoing faxes,
and scanning to PDF, I LOVE that feature! I scan hotel receipts, etc,
from trips and send them to my boss as PDF, which is the way he wants
it.
on XP the HP software works great. I have emailed HP about NOT being
able to use it on my SUSE box, they actually replied to my email,
saying they will test it in their lab....

> HP is sponsoring a programmer to write the HP backend code for their
> entire line of printers. While this pile of code _seems_ like a
> great thing, I have never been able to get it to work with this
> printer. In fact, this is the 3rd one I have had replaced under
> warranty. The fist one simply wouldn't work. The second one kept
> crashing half-way through a print job using the windows drivers on
> XP. The third one kept reporting the printheads were worn out and
> had to be replaced (total pages on printheads: <30. It hadn't
> started working well enough yet to use). The 4th one works OK as
> long as I don't try to use the HP supplied Linux drivers (other than
> the PPD, which is great BTW).

As soon as they get that working, I can start booting into SUSE on my
laptop, and NOT XP !
that, and I need a Visio alternative for Linux...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800