[ale] Multifuncion printer/scanner/fax, etc.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 27 17:10:55 EST 2006

Fax/modem is much less $$ than the
multi-function/multi-error/multiple-unsupported-devices-under-linux
systems.

I have an HP 9130 that is supposed to support network
print/fax/scan/photo-card and copier functions. I can drop a file from
the one XP machine on the LAN to the "SCAN" folders on the desktops
(SAMBA shares) but the HP fails every time. The folder is setup with
absolutely _NO_ security (no user required, chmod 777...). The fax just
doesn't work at all except under Windblows (I guess. I have never tried
it as the XcrementPile machine is 2 flights up and usually has a
game-brained child on it.

However, it has one function that has been used and loved: the
autofeeder scan to PDF and send by email a multi-page, 2-sided document.

HP is sponsoring a programmer to write the HP backend code for their
entire line of printers. While this pile of code _seems_ like a great
thing, I have never been able to get it to work with this printer. In
fact, this is the 3rd one I have had replaced under warranty. The fist
one simply wouldn't work. The second one kept crashing half-way through
a print job using the windows drivers on XP. The third one kept
reporting the printheads were worn out and had to be replaced (total
pages on printheads: <30. It hadn't started working well enough yet to
use). The 4th one works OK as long as I don't try to use the HP supplied
Linux drivers (other than the PPD, which is great BTW).

Moral: the more things any piece of technology does, the places for Mr.
Murphy to play his mischief on you.