[ale] Linux + Flash + Old laptop + kids

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 26 11:23:43 EST 2006

Robert Story wrote:

>My mom has given me and old laptop (K6-550 MHz, 64MB ram) and asked me to turn
>it into something the grandkids can use to surf/play games. I've found
>DamnSmallLinux to deal with the low memory size, but the problem I now have is
>that Firefox + Flash doesn't work right on the primary site the kids use:
>pbskids.org. The Teletubbies and Sesame Street portions have flash games, and
>while the page detects the flash plugin and puts up a white box (where a right
>click reveals the flash plugin menu), the flash game/movie doesn't
>actually load. Thinking it might be the distro, I tried the site on my FC4
>box, with the same results.
>
>Anyone using Linux for a kid system have pbskids.org working successfully? Any
>other suggestions?

Works fine for me.    I have off an on success with pluggins.   You have
to make sure that is is installed correctly.

A good way to test it about:plugins  in the address bar.  You should
have it listed there.  A long with any others.

The problem I have had in the past was with Realplayer more than another
software.   There seems to be at least 2 place the plugin files can be
stored.
1. ~./mozilla/plugins
2. /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

On my 10.2 Slackware system libflashplayer.so is in the
~./mozilla/plugins.  Which tells me that is there was another user on
the system flash would not work for them unless they had a copy of the
file in their home directory also.

> Shockwave Flash
>
>     File name: libflashplayer.so
>     Shockwave Flash 7.0 r61
>
> MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes
> application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl 	Yes

Good Luck