[ale] Sendmail permissions issue

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 15:46:15 EST 2006

Emil Man wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I remember the sendmail.cf file being something like 700 lines
> long, whereas my current postfix config file is much shorter.

The thing most people mistake about Sendmail is they think sendmail.cf
is the file they need to edit.  It's not.  Sendmail uses the standard
Gnu m4 macro processor to build .cf files.  My sendmail.mc file is at
most 25 lines, and the power of it coupled with milters is much more
powerful than what other MTAs can do.  With sendmail I can filter email
"in-line", via milters, rather than forking processes left/right to
validate email.  Some other MTAs have similar MTA extension
capabilities, but not Postfix (I wish it did).  With Postfix it's all
pipe-n-execute (new pid, new process, cleanup, etc) for every processed
email.

I'm not trying to start a Vi-Emacs style war, just trying to inform. ;-)

-Jim P.