[ale] Sendmail permissions issue

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Feb 14 15:36:21 EST 2006

Andrew Sledge wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I am having trouble with a Perl script that uses Sendmail to send out
> notifications.  The trouble is not with the script itself, but with
> Sendmail:  I am getting permissions errors.  When trying to send an
> email message even from the command line (e.g.: echo "hello" |
> /usr/bin/sendmail -oi -t, etc) I get the following error:
>
> [10:42:14][sledge at server:~/scripts/perl]$ echo "hello" |
> /usr/bin/sendmail -oi -t
> WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=100, want=25)

This is saying that the RunAsUser=smmsp option in your submit.cf is
being ignored because the program's egid=100.
Check the ownership and permissions of the sendmail binary again.  As
noted in the sendmail web link you mentioned, the permissions should be:

-r-xr-sr-x    root   smmsp    ... /PATH/TO/sendmail

By saying your egid=100, the warning message is implying that either the
file isn't owned by group smmsp, or the SGID permission bit isn't set,
or both.

--Joe