[ale] distro for carputer

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Feb 5 15:36:23 EST 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 14:21, Philip Polstra wrote:
> What I'm looking to do is a little different from what Chris is doing at
> Dashwerx.
>
> I'm really putting a computer in my car (actually a van), then integrating
> it with the vehicle.  I'm putting this in a 1990 Mazda MPV, which doesn't
> have much to integrate with.  This is mostly for fun, and to watch movies,
> and to play some MP3's.  I might also use this as a mobile command center
> for my flight school if I get the Internet access setup.  That way I could
> handle flying out of airports other than the one where my school is located.
>
> For input, I have a small keyboard with a glidepad I bought for $60 at
> Microcenter.  I think it will do nicely.
>
> The CPU will be between the two front seats, and I am going to mount the
> display so I can either use it while not driving from the front, or have it
> pointed toward the back for my daughter to watch movies and such.

Sounds like an amusing and interesting project.
:-)
Maybe you could give an ALE Central presentation about it when you finish! :-)
(sorry, but my asking is not an optional thing)

My curiosity in Linux on ITX has more modest goals.  What I'd like to be able
to build is a direct to disk DV recorder setup for my video work. Ideally
this would be functional as  a battery powered belt pack, but AC hard wire
would be acceptable if the form factor is readily portable. The hard to meet
requirements in the Linux software equation are HFS+ file and QuickTime
framework for the DV files.

peace
aaron