[ale] OT: MicorCenter and new iMacs

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Feb 1 18:22:36 EST 2006

fletch at phydeaux.org wrote:

>>I'm sure there will be new models introduced with higher clock speeds when
>>as
>>replacements to the Power Mac G5 line for high-end professional users
>>(especially once more of the high-end software is re-compiled so it runs
>>natively on Intel processors).  But, for an initial release, it makes
>>sense to
>>go with a slower, but cheaper processor, especially when you're paying a
>>premium already for the Mac logo.
>>

>And keep in mind that the iMacs are the "consumer" grade machines.  If you
>look at iBooks versus Powerbooks the later usually are a generation of
>processor ahead of the former (of course since they've run into the G4
>wall it's not as pronounced a difference as it used to be).

I've been thinking about getting a Mac laptop, and I recall someone here
dissed iBooks a while back.  But looking at the specs for iBooks and
PowerBooks at apple.com, it's not totally obvious why I'd want to
pay 20% more for a PowerBook with essentially the same hardware
and software as a high-end iBook. Can anyone enlighten me?

Of course it looks like the MacBooks are the shape of things to come, so
this question is mainly idle curiosity.  But I'd like to get my whole
family on
OSX for desktop use -- laptops for me and my wife, and maybe a
Mac Mini or iMac for my daughter.   I don't see a good reason not to go
with an iBook for my wife, who's your basic WP-and-email kinda user.

Thanks,

-- JK