[ale] DummyQ: What's needed to use "secure flash" w/Linux?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Apr 28 09:28:10 EDT 2006

John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> Do current, off-the shelf "secure" flash-drives (e.g., USB type) work with
> current versions of Linux? If so, how does one use them? Are the files
> encrypted, the directories, or what? Or, alternatively, are there Linux
> drivers that are reasonably transparent to use, that encrypt directories
> and/or files of any disk-like device?

I purchased a Sony secure usb drive a while back.  On Linux, it just
works like a regular drive.  The 'security' is apparently software based
as there is software on the drive that you need to install.

I would guess that says a lot about the security of these devices.  I
didn't look into the aspects of this software as I don't use it on
windows.  I would guess that the software encrypts anything that's
written to the drive, but that's an assumption.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin