[ale] cheap network attached storage?

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 21 20:54:23 EDT 2005

While I have not used this brand.  I have almost figured out these
things.  You need to make sure that the device supports Mass Storage.
That maybe the biggest key.  Another is that windows will only need a
drive if it is windows 98/ME.

I got this from some place on the web.  I forget where.  The website
went so far as to configure Linux to auto-mount once it saw the device
plugged in.  I was not interested in that.  Also, be aware if you are
using kernel 2.6.XXX. It will make the SCSI devices as needed.  I think
it is udev.  Will drive you crazy when trying to setup and find the
device if it is not working right. with that said you should be able to
do the following.

1. Turn on device.  Once it is up plug into the USB port.
2. Do lsusb   ( You may need to be root.)  This will let you know if USB
found it.
3. Find which SCSI device it got mapped too.  Use fdisk -l /dev/sda.
    If you get some info back you found it.  If not try moving to /dev/sdb.

That is the short of it.  you can try Googlein Linux mass storage usb.
I have not tried a firewire device yet.

Adrin