[ale] cheap network attached storage?

Randy C. Ramsdell rramsdell at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 9 14:44:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 14:16 -0400, Randy C. Ramsdell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 11:09 -0400, Jay Loden wrote:
> > I'm looking to pick up a network attached storage device, something along the
> > order of these (home size, not enterprise ones with lots of zeroes in the
> > price):
>
> I really don't think you will find exactly what you are looking for in a
> consumer grade appliance. One solution for a "network storage" device
> would be Iscsi, scsi commands over ethernet, but I think this puts your
> $ into the couple of zeros range. I saw recently a rack mounted storage
> system that uses PATA drives. Google search "PATA over ethernet". These
> would be true "networked" storage.
>
> Another thing would be to build a system yourself with mini-itx or nano-
> itx motherboards. This is the route I will take soon, If I cannot find a
> better solution.
>
> I guess this is a area not used much by consumers. but would make for a
> good business concept.
>

> > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=207

I guess I didn't RTFA. I saw the first device and it used USB and after
seeing that, I didn't look any further. :)

Some of those devices look interesting.

> > I want it for running backups from a couple Linux machines over a
> > network...however, none of these devices says anything about how it works,
> > just that they "appear as a drive on each computer on the network"

I would guess the use nfs or maybe even ftp/ssh.

> > Fine if you're running Windows, but what about Linux boxes? Does anyone know
> > of a solution like this that will let me run backups onto a drive over the
> > network when I'm running Linux? I'd prefer not to set up Samba just to talk
> > Windows-speak to one of these devices.

For the Triton devices.

It says "Administering the Simple NAS is done through a web based
interface by logging onto the unit via your web browser." This may mean
it is plateform independent.

The Buffalo device says "Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux Systems"
because it uses web based administration.