[ale] cheap network attached storage?

Randy C. Ramsdell rramsdell at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 9 14:16:56 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 11:09 -0400, Jay Loden wrote:
> I'm looking to pick up a network attached storage device, something along the
> order of these (home size, not enterprise ones with lots of zeroes in the
> price):

I really don't think you will find exactly what you are looking for in a
consumer grade appliance. One solution for a "network storage" device
would be Iscsi, scsi commands over ethernet, but I think this puts your
$ into the couple of zeros range. I saw recently a rack mounted storage
system that uses PATA drives. Google search "PATA over ethernet". These
would be true "networked" storage.

Another thing would be to build a system yourself with mini-itx or nano-
itx motherboards. This is the route I will take soon, If I cannot find a
better solution.

I guess this is a area not used much by consumers. but would make for a
good business concept.