[ale] Sharing non-network-capable printer - DONE

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 7 07:34:17 EDT 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:23:14 -0400
Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Is it possible to share a printer that is not a network printer?  I
> have a Linux box in one room with a physically attached (via USB)
> Epson Stylux C84 and an Apple Mac Mini in another room that I want to
> be able to use this printer.
>
> Is it possible to make this printer available to the Mac?  The Mac
> access the net wirelessly via a Netgear wireless router to which my
> other machines are physically connected via Ethernet cables.
>
> Thanks.

I ended up getting this to work by going into the cups.conf file of the
Linux machine, enabling broadcasting, and setting the allowed machines
to those on my network.

The Mac picks the printer up automatically now.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western
	Civilization?
Gandhi:	I think it would be a good idea.

Linux salamander 2.6.11.4-21.9-default i686 GNU/Linux
  7:32am  up 2 days 10:26,  4 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.32, 0.30