[ale] CUPS problems on Debian Etch

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Thu Sep 1 16:19:35 EDT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 11:59 pm, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:00:08PM -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 September 2005 06:05 pm, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > |  I deleted the jobs and the printer is now going
> > | to cycle about 500 pages of a little gibberish at the top of the
> > | page.This problem has occurred with several of the programs on my
> > | system. Help! Ideas.
> >
> > I can help you tame the printer.  When it starts doing this,
> > pop the paper tray and when the current sheet feeds through, turn off
> > the power. Wait two-three minutes and then turn the power back on.
> > That will clear the printer's memory.
>
> Thanks Sean,
>
> I even unplugged the printer the other day and couldn't stop the mess.
> All of the jobs were cancelled in the CUPS system as well. This is a
> little ol' Epson Stylus Color 740. It did stop it this time though :-)
> Still having problems getting openoffice to print the envelope and
> letter though. Keeps leaving off the envelope address and then prints
> half the letter and stops cold :-(
>
> Jim Seymour

>From an earlier thread I started on the same problem:

"Stop the printer using Command Center (unless you have better way), then
run tunelp -r /lp0 (or the correct equivalent device.)

Sometimes I have to clear the /var/spool/cups (files only) and the
/var/spool/cups/tmp directory to make this work."

Thanks to James Taylor on that. I've used it again and again since then.