[ale] tux magazine

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:44:08 EST 2005

Paul Cartwright wrote:

> you said what I was thinking.. I think I agree that Linspire might
> not be the best, but not having installed it, I don't have a reason..
> other than it cost $50 a year. everything else he said was
> subjective, without good arguements. I'd like to know why Debian is a
> 14 CD install !?!?!?!?!

Having installed Linspire (I grabbed a copy when they were giving it
away for free a few months back), it's not a horribly bad system.  It's
more focused on the end-user market, though.  It could be, with some
customizations, even be used in a corporate environment (both corporate
environments that I've been in still extensively use unsecured protocols
like telnet and raw, unencrypted X11 over IP from various hosts).
Linspire does not come with a telnet binary out of the box.  For those
that want to develop or compile custom applications, it doesn't sport
the compilers out of the box like you might expect for a Linux
distribution; you must install them yourself, and I found that to be an
interesting task because it doesn't make the assumption that you want
development libraries, and they're not exactly easy to find (or I'm
pretty blind) in the CNR system.

For end users, it's alright, though.  It's definitely not for me.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                      fd0man at gmail.com
Blog: http://fd0man.livejournal.com/                     AIM: MB Trausch