[ale] Myth TV

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 9 13:44:59 EST 2005

Christopher Fowler wrote:

>The latest issue of LJ has an article on Myth.  I'm getting interested.
>I would like to know from anyone that has this setup the answers to
>these questions.
>
>1.  How does Myth integrate with Dish Network.

    Works well, I have dishnetwork, I've never had any real trouble with
the lirc based IR blaster.  The only problem I've had is with power
outages.  Sometimes
    the receiver comes back on, thus when mythtv "hits the power button"
it then turns the receiver off.  That's only twice over 10 months though.

>2.  How does Myth get program listings for Dish Network.

    I get my programming information from zap2it.  The setup is included
in the install documentation.

>3.  Is there an Interface to burn to DVD-R?

I haven't personally used it, but there is a module called mythburn for
making dvds.

>4.  What card should I be lookign for on eBay to do
>    capture an playback.

The current setup of choice is a hauppauge pvr-x50 video capture and a
standard nvidia card with tvout (a 5200 is about $35).
The PVR350 does have hardware accelerated tvout, and the newer drivers
are supposed to make it more X friendly, haven't used it personally. YMMV.

>I've thought about buying a Tivo.

Tivo is not a bad option outside of the monthly charges and lack of
flexibility.  If you are a computer weenie (no insult intended) I say go
for it.  I've been a happy
mythtv user for over 2 years now.