[ale] Myth TV

Cliff Free erudite.hacker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 13:28:27 EST 2005

1 and 2:
MythTV works much better with Cable. I don't know of a way to get Dish
program listings. Unless there's some way to control your Dish Set-top-box
via a serial, firewire, or USB connection, then you're probably stuck with
your PVR card in your PC being set to one channel and using the set-top-box
to change channels (think VCR). This also limits your recording ability so
that you can only record the channel you're currently on. IIRC, most of the
satellite functionality and cards are for the European market.

3: There are several ways to burn to DVD+-R
4: Many people like the Hauppage PVR-250 and 350 cards. The 500 has 2 tuners
but uses a different chipset (and NOT the popular ivtv driver). See
http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall for more information about
card support.