[ale] Could not solve SUSE 10.0 slow performance with Asus Intel cpu/chipset

Greg Tucker gtucker1 at csc.com
Tue Nov 8 12:45:44 EST 2005

I talked with Suse support and they felt the problem was the powersave
daemon. Started in rc2 it quickly decides the system is practically idle;
a laptop and the processor/hard drive need to be throttled down. This
resulted in >10 minute boots and a sluggish system.

They recommended putting: apci=off noapic in the boot options. Things speed
up a little (8-9 minute boots) but the system was still sluggish.  My old
1.8 AMD running SUSE 9.1 was much faster than the new ASUS T2 (Terminator
T2-P barebones) with a 2.4 P4 with Segate SATA. The powersave daemon and
kpowersave (desktop) daemon still ran even with the new boot setting and it
was taking about 8 or 9 minutes to boot. I tried different bios settings
and reloading everything several times to no avail. I tried an EIDE drive
instead of the SATA. No change.  After a couple of days, I loaded Fedora 4
and the box was fast and booted in 5 minutes thirty seconds and, more
important, things were not sluggish. (Firefox would load in 2-4 seconds
instead of 10 to 12.)

My recommendation: If you're going to run Suse 10, avoid Asus Intel
motherboards with Intel chipsets until Novell corrects the problem. Stick
with an AMD cpu.

Greg Tucker
CSC Consulting
cell: 678-643-7431