[ale] Laptop recommendation

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jul 21 12:01:20 EDT 2005

Brian J. Dowd wrote:
> Toshiba makes a nice widesceen (1440 x 900) laptop. On FC3 got sound,
> battery indication, wireless
> (with madwifi), DVD+-R/W, CD, etc. working AOK. 3.2 GHz. Nice box. ~$1600.

I've got an older Sony Vaio (pcg-grx700p), works great.  does 1600x1200.
  A bit heavy, but it's got a 17" screen. 2.4 gHz, built in memory stick
slot, 3 usb, one firewire, 60 g drive.  They all work.

I've also got a newer, lower end HP Pavilion (ze4901us), Celeron 1.3 gHz
15" screen, 40 g drive.  It works nicely as well.  You can even do dual
head with the svga output on the back.  I picked it up last Christmas
for $600, one of those, 'get you in the door' sales.  The only down
thing about this laptop is it has a mini-pci slot, but the HP bios
restricts it to their hardware.  Sucks.  I tried to put a mini-pci wifi
card in it, but the bios complains and it won't boot.

--
Until later, Geoffrey