[ale] Critters in the Attic

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:03:33 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:59:02 -0500, David Corbin <dcorbin at enttek.com> wrote:
> We have critters in the attic.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to want to be
> caught by our rat traps (cages sized for Noregian Roof Rats, which we've had
> before).  So, I assume it's something larger.  What I really need is to know
> where they're entering the attic, so I can seal it.
>
> But wait you say, this is a Linux list.  I have an old P133 system that I just
> shut down.  I had this thought - what inexpensive peripherals could I add
> to this box to help me solve it?
>
> I was thinking I could put the box in the attic (winter fortunately), and put
> a cheap camera on it.  I'd need some type of flash/strobe, or it would have
> to be an IR-capabel camera (they only seem active at night, so even low-light
> won't help).  If it's a still-camera, I'd need a motion sensor, though that
> might be good either way.

Two suggestions

1) light - try leaving your attic light on.  If you don't have one, a
worklight could be run from an outlet.  This will either drive them
out, or let you see them better

2) ingress - probably via eaves, or vents.  Hardware cloth over any
hole larger than your pinky-nail.  I found a gutter screen mesh that's
pretty cheap, easy to trim, and comes in convenient lengths for attic
work at Home Depot.

--
Better Living Through Bitmaps