[ale] Critters in the Attic

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 25 09:20:48 EST 2005

David Corbin wrote:
> We have critters in the attic.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to want to be
> caught by our rat traps (cages sized for Noregian Roof Rats, which we've had
> before).  So, I assume it's something larger.  What I really need is to know
> where they're entering the attic, so I can seal it.
>
> But wait you say, this is a Linux list.  I have an old P133 system that I just
> shut down.  I had this thought - what inexpensive peripherals could I add
> to this box to help me solve it?
>
> I was thinking I could put the box in the attic (winter fortunately), and put
> a cheap camera on it.  I'd need some type of flash/strobe, or it would have
> to be an IR-capabel camera (they only seem active at night, so even low-light
> won't help).  If it's a still-camera, I'd need a motion sensor, though that
> might be good either way.

You can purchase a lowend IR enabled camera for around $80.  Go with a
video capture card (without tv tuner, around $20) and a standalone
camera with rca or s-video input.  rca cameras are easier to find, both
CompUSA and Frys carry them.

Get your hands on 'motion.'  It's a software package that does motion
detection on v4l compliant hardware.  I've got one set up on my
driveway.  I know when the garbage is picked up, when my wife get's home
and most importantly, whether or not I need to answer the door when
someone pulls up in the driveway.

I set another up at our Church.  We had problems with vandals.  I placed
a camera in the main hall of the building they were breaking into.
Connected to a headless P200, sitting in the top of the pantry.

Bear in mind the low end ir cameras have a limited distance, but you
could simply strap a light up there.

--
Until later, Geoffrey