[ale] comcast static IP?

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Sun Jan 23 13:22:21 EST 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 10:52 am, Jim Popovitch wrote:
| Snips
| > ?Since most people on this list run their own mailserver, etc.

I dunna know about that.  Maybe more folks on this list run their
own mailservers, etc, than don't, but I'd bet it's close.

I, for one do not. But I can mooch off my son! :)

But to my point:  I live inside the Loop here in Atlanta and
BS provides the last mile of copper to my house.  I used MIndspring/
Earthlink for years until their tech support went down the tubes
to the Philippines. At that point I had a choice:  BS or Speed
Factory, Speakeasy, etal.  BS had a lower price for DSL but only
with pppoe and dynamic address.  BS's charge for a fixed address
was higher than some of the other "middlemen." That's why I ended
up with Speakeasy: No pppoe, fixed address, excellent tech support
(that is willing to talk Linux/unix), multiple mail boxes without
additional charge, no problem with multiple computers accessing
the DSL connection.

My main complaint with BS is that way too many of their pole
climbers are incompetent and the odds are that the first one sent
out to look at your "issue" either won't have a clue and will fake
a response, or he/she will screw up the problem, making it worse
for the next tech sent out. More than once I have had to wait for
the third or fourth pole climber to show up (meaning multiple calls
to customer (mostly) non-service) before the problem was properly
diagnosed and repaired.  More to the point, I cannot remember the
last time I had a problem with the last mile of copper and BS managed
to properly diagnose and repair the problem on the _first_ try.
As best I can remember that hasn't happened once in the six years
I have lived in the Atlanta area.

Sean