[ale] Linux on an IMAC G3

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 00:02:35 EST 2005

> | I have recently inherited an older imac clamshell g3.  I did some
> | searches for a good os for the laptop and came accross yellowdog linux.

I've run YellowDog 3 and 4, Fedora PPC, and Debian on PPC. YellowDog
is by far the easiest to get up and running, but Debian provides a
better overall experience. Fedora PPC just sucks all the way around.
OpenDarwin is better than any Linux distribution on PPC as far as I
have seen, but it will be somewhat difficult to maintain unless you
have a BSD background and like ports. I have OD 7.2.1 (Panther)
running on an Orange iMac. Runs great. Took 4 1/2 hours to get totally
set up though. Building from source is tedious on those old
processors.

--
Jonathan