[ale] Time issue

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 12 13:27:55 EST 2005

Ryan Fish wrote:
> What could cause the time on a server running RHEL3 ES to change by
> roughly 3 hours at least two days in a row?
>
> - Time zone is set to America/New York (EST) - NTP is not in use -
> Box has not been rebooted for 77+ days (so HWClock should have
> nothing to do with it)
>
> Any ideas on where to look will be GREATLY appreciated.

Don't know, but I'd start checking out the logs to see when it happened.
  You should be able to easily identify a 3 hour jump.  From there, you
could start checking out cron and such.  If it's something that's just
started happening, I'd be concerned it's been hacked.

Are you sure it's not rebooted?  I'd verify that via the logs as well.

--
Until later, Geoffrey