[ale] New Topic (Apples, Oranges & Pods)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Jan 2 16:28:15 EST 2005

On Sunday 02 January 2005 08:48, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 22:12 +0000, aaron wrote:
> > I think that many of the hundreds of millions of America Loving Liberals
> > across the country would agree with Mark on the advantages of the OS [e]X
> > generation of Macs .  ;-)
>
> Now, if they would just vote....  ;-)  Loving plastic PCs is a universal
> tradition, loving country takes effort.  :-)

The evidence is mounting that the question isn't one of their love,
commitment and voting, but of having their votes fairly and
accurately counted. Increasing unlikely in the face of privatized,
proprietary, secret election systems run by corporations whose
interests directly conflict with a legitimate democracy. :-(

> I too love MACs, and have been considering a (more than iPod) purchase
> for some time now.  One of the things that holds me back is the lack of
> hardware flexibility that exists in the Wintel arena.
>
> I'll dive in the Apple pool, when Apple opens up their gates (designs)
> to compatibility.  Until then there are just too few options.  Sure
> things just work, you are just too limited in the things you can do.

Greater "compatibility" is Apple's rock and a hard place issue, especially
knowing that the "compatible" arena is fully controlled by a monolithic,
extortionist, thrice convicted criminal monopoly.  Unique system, interface
and peripheral designs are Apple's point of differentiation (the iPod side
line success perhaps being a case in point), and controlling them seems a
necessity of survival, at least for the time being.

My own experience is that the current Mac designs have greatly increased
commodity market compatibility compared to pre OS [e]X systems.  The design
decisions with iMac and eMac "all in one" cases may take PCI add on cards out
of the picture, but most of what common users need is already on board and
the likely hard drive and peripheral additions are readily addressed with
IEEE-1394 and USB.  If you plan on  and expanding via PCI cards you can
always pony up for  a Dual G5 tower case!   ;-)

> BTW, I wonder if there are any H1B workers at Apple.
> -Jim P.

That was the OLD topic, this is the NEW topic, remember?  ;-)

peace
aaron