[ale] [OT] I just bought an iBook, what now

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Feb 17 22:39:44 EST 2005

I'd recommend downloading and installing Xwindows for Mac.  It made
remote linux admin a whole lot easier for me.  There's a package called
FINK, that is supposed to support linux apps on OSX, but I haven't had a
chance to check it out yet.

I also installed VNC on mine for some remote desktop access.

Of course there's always the citrix and terminal server clients, if you
need them.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

>>> "Nathan J. Underwood" <ale1 at cybertechcafe.net> 02/17/05 4:18 PM >>>
Well, we had an issue come up that required a Mac to test, which
prompted the purchase of an iBook from Micro Center (spur of the moment
thing, but the experience was pleasant).  At any rate, it's ours now,
and I've never used one before (well, that's untrue, but the last Apple
that I tinkered with was an Apple ][, it's been a while).  After
tinkering with it for most of the day, I've gotta say I really like it,
I just don't know what to *do* with it.  I've got FireFox and
Thunderbird installed (that was easy), and I have 2 user accounts setup
on it.  My question is, what now?  Are there any 'standard apps' that
you guys can suggest?  Anything I need to watch out for?
registered linux user # 73046