[ale] database conversion

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Feb 9 09:11:25 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> Stored Procedures is also another nice feature of Postgress.  One thing
> I want to do is have backup databases.
>
> In the MySQL realm all that was done with a Master -> Slave and done
> with binary data.  I'm not looking for Master->Slave.  I've have had so
> many problems getting the Master->Slave working and continue to work
> under MySQL.  I want backup databases and possible even load balancing.
> Where I can have 2 database servers and then my application can contact
> the first one available.

Mysql has (at least) 3 free clustering approaches on Linux:

* drbd as the backing store under the db + heartbeat - that's an HA only
solution
* master + slave(s) + a load balancer - that's distributed reads, single
writes. Semi-load-balanced
* the new mysql cluster stuff - probably closest to what you want, but your
db has to fit entirely in memory on each node, so it may or may not be
suitable for your db size / hardware budget

later,
chris