[ale] OT vhs to dvd

j.t. holmes linux at jtholmes.com
Mon Dec 26 08:32:45 EST 2005

First off I dont want to copy any VHS to DVD for profit,
too much trouble.
I only want to convert my VHS Movies (not home movies, commercial movies
which I am allowed to make one copy of according to all the rules I have
read)
to DVD movies. I have about 40 such movies that I have not found on DVD and
I really want the experience of going thru the copy process.

I have scoured the net and have seen  a plethora of products but would
like someone with
real life experience to tell me what they have and how it worked.

I have all the CD/DVD burner types (except dual layer) and I have two
VHS players
one with Svideo output. I realize SVideo output is only as good as the
original movie
quality but it should simplify things.

I would prefer to purchase PC software/hardware rather than a VHS to DVD
combo dubbing
device, since after the conversions I would have no use for the VHS side.

I am leaning towards ADS products. The reviews about all products are
all over the board.
I would like to get comparable quality on the DVD side. Most of my VHS
movies are in great
shape as they have not been played to death.

Perhaps the wave of Copy VHS to DVD has passed and the current Mfgrs are
concentrating
on copying DVD to DVD etc.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.