[ale] OT: question about replacing batteries in a APC UPS

Richard Atcheson ratcheson at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 02:17:11 EST 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 08:18 pm, Van Loggins wrote:
> I'm no expert but I think this means that the the unit is pretty well
> shot, and now I am stuck with two "Brand New" 12 volt 12 amp hour gel
> lead acid batteries. I am looking at a APC Smart-UPS 700
> that I have the chance to get, but it needs batteries and after checking
> into it, I found out that this model needs 12 volt 7 amp hour gel lead
> acid batteries.
>
> My question is this, would I be able to use the new batteries that I
> just bought for my now defunct APC Smart-UPS 1000 in the APC Smart-UPS
> 700 that I'm looking at buying?

This must be the season for dying UPSs!  My APC 350 just bit the dust taking
my main computer and phone down.  Rather than mess with finding and replacing
the batteries I plunked down 40 bucks at Fry's for a new UPS from Belkin.

To answer your question re the swapping of batteries, the 12 amp battery
simply has a larger capacity;  that is it will provide current to the same
load for a bit longer than the 7A batt..  If the connections are the same
then the 12V12A should work fine as a replacement for the 12V7A.  If there
are only two connections on each batt, it would be hard to go wrong replacing
the little one with the big one.  But I certainly wouldnt go the other way!
Richard