[ale] OT: question about replacing batteries in a APC UPS

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Dec 19 02:57:37 EST 2005

> worse. The unit started beeping nonstop and would shut itself off and
> then wait for a minute or so and turn itself back on only to start
> beeping again, and the unit doesn't keep running if the power is pulled

I could have described it as an APC UPS from this description alone.
Trash it. Buy a cheap Tripp-Lite or non-name brand, It'll work better,
longer.

Twice in my life I've open the door to my old NOC to the acrid smell
of burnt components and smoke and found a rack mount APC UPS
clicking on and off in that cycle.

The other weird thing about APC's is many of them switch 'on' for
frequency shifts in the line frequency.. and it does not take much of a
shift. This is a real problem if your generator oscillates a little on
center frequency. Most other UPS's switch on missed pulses/cycles or
average voltage drop. I've seen bad line power frequencies that bothered
nothing else cause an APC's to "eat itself".