[ale] Cell phones

John Trostel jtrostel at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 27 17:12:56 EDT 2004

I have a treo 600 cell phone and do NOT have 'digi-funk' connections.
Sounds like your friends unit is marginal in coverage. What carrier is
he using and where?  I have had better reception with the 600 than many
others have had with more conventional phones, given the same location
and carrier.  I have even used the treo to great effect in Ireland on
Vodaphone.

I talk to many people all over the country and it has worked pretty
well.  I'm sure there are better cell phones, but for a converged
devices, the treo is pretty nice.  I can use the phone, check my email
(imaps and pop), IM people (aim, yahoo, msn), reset my server (ssh),
browse the web.. I have lots of other interesting stuff on the little
device too.

Hey, it even has my PIM type info on it ;)

If your friend is having that much trouble with the treo 600, he should
have taken it back for a replacement unit long ago.

I would not suggest the treo for people with a very low geek quotient
though.  It's definitely not a drop it on the floor, toss it around,
simple flip/brick phone.  It's a $600 converged PDA/phone that should be
treated as such.

Of course, you could wait a month and get the treo 650 ;)

--
John Trostel
jtrostel at mindspring.com
Atlanta, GA USA