[ale] Linux Mail Server Recomendations

Frank Glass glass+keyword+ale.5fd0ec at holos.com
Fri Sep 24 21:48:39 EDT 2004

WRT the qmail vs sendmail discussion:

After running sendmail since the the early uucp days, we crafted a qmail
installation with 1,000 or so production users.  Where sendmail is archaic
(you need to be comfortable with the m4 macro-processor to master it)
qmail is eccentric with things in hidden directories, etc.

For qmail documentation you need to buy the book.  If you want to use LDAP
aliases then avoid qmail.  If you want use Perl modules, take a look at it.

While the qmail documentation is poor, I wouldn't give sendmail documentation
any awards either.  As old as sendmail is, documentation is a challenge because
implementations are all different and you still have capabilities for ancient
transports like X.25 and uucp.

--

Frank Glass
Holos Software, Inc.