[ale] telnet help

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Thu Sep 23 09:27:06 EDT 2004

check whether telnetd is running and listening at default port (23/tcp)
           netstat -tln | grep 23

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org]On Behalf Of Barry
Rountree
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 7:17 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] telnet help

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 07:01 pm, Barnes, Michael wrote:
> Both of the machines are on the same sub-net and as far as I can tell,
> there is not a fire-wall involved. Is there a quick way to determine if I
> am mistaken?

All of these should be run on the server.

Can you telnet to 127.0.0.1?
Can you telnet to the machine's real ip address?
Anything in /etc/hosts.deny?
Is telnet turned on in /etc/services?
Is telnet disabled in /etc/xinet.d?[*]
Does "iptables -L" show a firewall?
Are you using the Kerberos version of telnet?  That may require additional
configuration.

And finally,

Is there a really, really good reason not to use ssh?

> Thanks
> Mike Barnes

Good luck,

Barry

[*] I don't know if there are any versions of telnet that use xinetd, but it

would be a likely candidate and won't take long to check.