[ale] Broadband Router Recommendations?

alelist alelist at christopherrussell.net
Wed Sep 8 19:18:25 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:00, Danny Cox wrote:
> 	At long last, my faithful 200 MHz 'puter that is my router and IP
> masquerader is about to bite the dust.  It uses an AT power supply, of
> which I had two, but only one is working :-(.
>
> 	Does anyone have any opinions for or against of the various routers?  I
> see Monarch has a D-Link DI-604 4-port for $50.  The only thing that
> makes me wary is the heading, "Simple Set-Up Wizard for Easy
> Installation".  I only run Linux @ home, and "wizards" are typically
> windows.  I'd like one that had a web based approach, I think.
>
> 	Let the opinions fly!
>
> 	Thanks!

Check:
You have modem, and you need to replace the router, which  I assume (?)
would also be your firewall / router ?

I've had Linksys, D-Link (which would not block port 515- unix spool
printer), et al.

Recommend:
Build your own box, and it does not have to be a 2GHz CPU! Block
everything by default, and only allow services that you need. Port scans
will be dropped if not from outside IP addresses that you allow.
Iptables is good for you!

If you choose otherwise, I have both D-Link and Linksys router /
firewall to sell you. You pay shipping.

hth
chris
--