[ale] ALE Booth at LISA

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Oct 10 13:07:36 EDT 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> John M Trostel wrote:
>> I volunteer for a some hours on Wednesday afternoon. The question is,
>> what will we have at the booth to offer people?
>
> I would have some flyers printed up.  It's too late to do anything like
> t-shirts or such.  We could likely throw together some cds of various distros
> with a 'courtesy of ALE' stamp on them.
>
>> What is the purpose of having the booth?
>
> To get some exposure.  Possibly add members.
>
>> Given some reasonable answers to those questions, I can help man the
>> booth on Wednesday afternoon for a few hours. (Put me down for Wednesday
>> 2-5 tentatively).
>
> I appreciate it.  I'm still working through some of the logistics, but will
> updated the folks who have shown interest.  I don't want to waste folks time,
> thus if it does not appear that we would be able to provide a professional
> presence, I wouldn't do it.

Sorry I missed the original e-mail about this. It sounds really cool and
I'd love to help. I don't know if I can man the booth as my schedule is a
bit uncertain, but I probably can.

Here are some thoughts:

I think it would be cool to highlight stuff that ALE members do: eg.
businesses run by ALE members and/or software that ALE members contribute
to, books written by ALE members etc. Of course, I run a business and I
write software, so this is entirely self-interest-motivated, but I think
there is real opportunity for a lot of us to benefit in this way as this
kind of booth is really good for exposure.

I don't think it would take too much work to put together a list of
interesting stuff people in ALE do and I would gladly make a poster or
something. I've also got a not-too old laptop that maybe could be used for
a presentation/wed page/whatever. I also own a sound system if that helps.

 	bjorn

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche
XO Audio LLC

http://www.xowave.com